Metabolic and Endocrine
Lead - Dr Tara Kearney
Metabolic and Endocrine Facts
- Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust(SRFT) and Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (CMFT) have around 3000 new endocrine consultations per year and 8500 follow-ups.
- The Andrology Research Unit (ARU) at CMFT is very experienced in running clinical trials and observational research. The ARU has also has a long tradition in male contraceptive trials, currently running a World Health Organisation sponsored portfolio study.
- There were 304 elective endocrinology diagnoses in Central Manchester for the year 2010/11 with presentations including acromegaly, pituitary gigantism and Cushing’s Syndrome.
- The medical weight management clinic at SRFT provides a tertiary service for 12 local primary care trusts, with 1000 new referrals and 1400 follow-ups of obese people each year of.
- There are established links throughout the North West with primary and secondary care physicians, nurses and dietitians and support community services directly and indirectly by providing training.
- SRFT is the only NHS provider of bariatric surgery in the North West, with around 300 patients undergoing gastric bypass, gastric band or sleeve gastrectomy a year. There are ongoing studies involving the medical and surgical weight management team in collaboration with University of Leeds and Hull York Medical School with support from the Comprehensive Local Research Network.