The remit of the Musculoskeletal Specialty Group is to support to a national portfolio of structured research studies that will enhance our understanding of:
- normal structure and function of joints, bone, muscle and cartilage
- diseases resulting from disordered musculoskeletal structure and function including aetiopathogenesis, investigation, diagnosis, monitoring, treatment and prevention
The Musculoskeletal Specialty Group portfolio includes investigator initiated and commercial studies on:
- Inflammatory joint disease including rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile idiopathic arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, undifferentiated early inflammatory arthritis, gout and other forms of crystal arthritis
- Non-inflammatory joint disease including osteoarthritis
- Non-inflammatory connective tissue disease including disorders of ligaments and tendons, joint hypermobility syndrome and Marfan’s syndrome
- Metabolic bone disease including; osteoporosis, vitamin D related bone disease and Paget’s disease
- Musculoskeletal pain disorders including back pain, knee pain, shoulder pain and chronic widespread pain
- Elective orthopaedic surgery
- Non-pharmacologic therapeutic modalities including physiotherapy, occupational therapy, patient education and psychological therapies.
Specialty Group Leads: Professor David Scott
Visit the National Musculoskeletal Specialty Group web page for further information.