Oral and dental
The Oral and Dental Specialty group is one of 23 Specialty Groups which provide national networks of topic-specific expertise. These groups are key to the success of the CCRN and work at both national and local levels to ensure the successful delivery of research studies which fall within their specialties.
The Oral and Dental Specialty Group supports a national portfolio of research studies in the field of dental and oral health and the management of dental and oral disease.
The Specialty Group covers a wide range of conditions and considerations. These include:
- The study of common dental diseases and the wide range of oral diseases and conditions, including oral cancer and orthodontic conditions
- The development of prevention and management strategies for all dental diseases and conditions and their longer term impacts This includes the development and testing of new technologies
- The promotion of oral health
- The design and evaluation of services for the successful and cost effective delivery of oral health and dentistry.
The group also provides support and resources at an early stage for researchers considering undertaking clinical research (see resources link below).
What we do
How we work with the life-sciences industry
How to get involved
- FiCTION Dental Trial - Fillings in Children’s Teeth (979kb)
Dental cavities in children are still highly prevalent in the UK and dentists carry out many thousands of procedures up and down the country every day to manage this. However, there is uncertainty amongst dentists as to the best way of managing this in first teeth. This trial looks at this uncertainty by investigating three different approaches. The results of the trial will inform policy, guidance and future teaching on managing dental caries in children.
You can download more information by clicking the link above.
- INTERVAL - Dental Recalls Trial (979kb)
This is a trial to investigate whether risk based recall intervals or a fixed period 24 month recall are more effective in maintaining oral health than the traditional fixed period 6 month recall. You can download more information by clicking the link above.