What we do
The Surgery Specialty Group offers specialist expertise and guidance to assist with the delivery of studies.
The group provides opportunities for healthcare professionals to become involved in research and for existing researchers to access a network of skilled research support staff and wider patient populations.The group undertakes tasks such as:
- Provides help and guidance for studies to get onto the Surgery portfolio
- Monitors the performance of studies to ensure they are getting the right level of CLRN (Comprehensive Local Support Network) support
- Encourages patient and public involvement into decision making and management of studies
- Links into other national networks
- Works with Life-sciences Industry
- Raises the profile of Surgery Research.
“The Specialty Groups offers us, for the first time, a national approach to coordinating research in an ethically and practically challenging environment, offering great opportunities for clinicians to contribute to research at many levels. It offers the means of joining up the community, succeeding and measuring our success and ensuring that resources are available to support this important emerging area of research.”
Professor Tim Walsh, Chair, NIHR Critical Care Specialty Group